Personal Inspiration is a gift from our Heavenly Father. We are all entitled to this gift and it can be given to us in many different ways. This lesson is designed for small children. This lesson is based on a talk given by Elder David A. Bednar entitled “The Spirit of Revelation”.
The object of this lesson is to:
· Define what revelation is
· Understand where it comes from
· How to ask for it
Opening Song: “Teach Me To Walk In The Light”
Opening Scripture: D & C 84:46
And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.
Offer out the question – What is Revelation?
The Topical Guide tells us: Revelation is communication from God to His children. This guidance comes through various channels according to the needs and circumstances of individuals, families, and the Church as a whole. When the Lord reveals His will to the Church, He speaks through His prophet. Prophets are the only people who can receive revelation for the Church, but they are not the only people who can receive revelation. According to our faithfulness, we can receive revelation to help us with our specific personal needs, responsibilities, and questions and to help us strengthen our testimony.
A Personal Revelation is meant just for us. God can communicate with us in many ways.
· Communicate is a big word that means talk to each other.
· If I ask you a question and you answer me we are communicating. (Pre school children love to talk and you will need a moment to ask the child a questions with answers)
ex: where is the kitchen. This is an easy direction question
· For the Prophet Lehi it came in amazing visions like the one he had of the Tree of Life. ( Try not to focus too long on this as the purpose of this lesson is personal revelation)
· It can come to us in our dreams. (ask the kids if they ever have a dream)
· Sometimes God sends angels to answer our questions:
· Did you know that not all angels have wings? ( Discuss how people can be angels when they bring us love, comfort and messages)
· Sometimes it is just a still small voice in our hearts and minds ( give the children time to whisper to each other or with you)
· Have each child wrap the blanket or towel around its shoulders.
· Have them sit in front of the box with the lamp inside.
· Be sure the lamp is off to begin.
· Once they are settled have them move the towel or blanket until it is on the floor around them and easy to pull back up on their shoulders.
· Have the room lit with only the lamp you are going to cover.
· Make sure that when the lamp is covered, there is a little light showing at the bottom.
The towel or blanket is like the Holy Ghost. When we need help knowing where to go or what to do we can pray to our Heavenly Father. We are often scared but the Holy Ghost will come and bring us comfort.
We need God’s Light and love to show us the way. The light will reveal what we need to know like a light from a lamp allows us to see in the dark.
· Have the children wrap up in the towel.
Ok. Now, remember when we said that we could get revelation in our dreams? I want you to close your eyes and pretend you are in your bed dreaming.
Now, imagine you had a bad dream. What do you do?
Did you call out for your mom or dad or someone else you trusted?
· Tell them to open their eyes
When we feel alone, or lost or afraid we can call out to people we love and trust. It can be our mom or dad, a teacher, a church leader and or Father in Heaven. When they bring us God’s love or “LIGHT” they are acting as angels for God.
We can then pray to know if what they are telling us is right and true. Heavenly Father will send the Holy Ghost to help us find the right answer.
· Pretend you are snuggling in your blanket and how happy you are to have it wrapped around you.
· Dim the lights as much as you can
· Turn on the light in the box. Point out that you can see some of the light poking through. If we seek the light, we can find it.
Revelation for God can be given to us in two different ways.
1) Some times we learn things gradually or one thing at a time. We call this “Line upon Line” or “Precept upon Precept”. That means, we keep learning parts of the answer until we can see it all.
· Lift the box up slowly as you go over this definition, until you take the box all the way off of the lamp.
· Ask if they can see the whole room and
· Put the box back over the light to completely cover it
2) Sometimes we get an immediate and intense answer
· Pull the box off quickly to reveal the whole light.
· Can you see everything around us and every one?
When we need answers all we need to do is pray to our Father in Heaven and he will find a way to show us what we need to know, learn or where to go. Prayer is how we communicate with our Father in Heaven. That is why it is so important that we remember to pray.
· Bear witness of the importance of praying to receive personal revelation.
· Tell of how you have prayed and what answers you received.
· Tell how it made a difference in your life
I always allow time for the children to offer any input. Make sure you stay on topic.
Closing Song – The Still Small Voice
Large box wrapped on 5 sides with black paper and open on a small end
Bright Lamp of some kind
Blanket or large towel for each child
Teach Me To Walk In His Light – music and lyrics https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/teach-me-to-walk-in-the-light?lang=eng
The Still Small Voice – music and lyrics https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/the-still-small-voice?lang=eng
Snack of your choice
“The Spirit of Revelation” by
David A. Bednar
1 Nephi 8